There are many roots of all mental health issues; moreover, it’s often a complicated combination of factors such as
- loneliness or social isolation
- discrimination and stigma
- poverty or debt
- losing someone close
- a long-term physical condition affecting health
- a dramatic change in lifestyle
- alcohol or drug intake
- domestic violence, bullying
- childhood neglect or trauma
- trauma as an adult
- physical causes – such as head injury
- lifestyle factors such as work, diet and lack of sleep
It’s important to remember that just because you may not know what causes your mental health problem, this doesn’t mean that it is not severe.
There is always a light at the end of the tunnel.